Sunday, February 26, 2012

Inspiration from an Unconventional Source

How many of us are ever alert to what we learn in everyday life?

Have you ever attended those corporate workshops where sitting in an air conditioned room we were trained on 'Team building', 'Account Planning', 'Problem Solving', 'How to motivate team members', 'Lead by example', and many 'what not's'.

Hey there, don't catch me wrong, those are useful! I have benefited myself from few of those and this post of is to never undermine such training. Training sessions are good (!) and are useful (if one is willing to learn).

I wanted to narrate, a true life experience I had few years ago when I was in college. I did my college in Chennai and on every alternate weekend I used to come to Pondicherry which is my native and where my parents stayed. It was a lovely Sunday morning. It so happened that the sandals that I use tore at one of the joints and I had to mend it. I could have bought a new one, but you see, things that are closer to heart one would try every means to retain it. (By the way this sandal of mine I considered lucky cos as I had some life changing events after I bought it, ah its a different story!)

As I went in search of a cobbler who could repair the sandals for me, not far from my home to my relief, I found one (since it was a Sunday I doubted if anyone would be there). I went to him. He didn't look at my face but all his attention was at my feet, my footwear was okay! Puzzled, he now looked at my face. I am the customer, so I am the king at the moment. With all pride I asked 'how much do take to mend a torn joint of a sandal?'. The cobbler retorted, 'Only if you show me the damage will I be able to tell you'. Yeah I felt like an idiot. Showed him only that sandal which was safely hidden in the bag I was carrying and he asked for Rs. 7 and the bargain started I was willing to pay only 5 rupees as it was only one place which was to be corrected.

He relented. Victory!! Still I was very curious on how he would approach the job. He pulled out the joint which needed mending and was pulling with some force other places also. I was imagining he was trying to break open any of the other places and charge me more. To my shock one place relented and needed some attention. However I decided that when he would confront me I will refuse as that it was because he pulled out with force and that I would not pay him.

The two damages were corrected and properly glued. Now the sandal is ready and I was getting myself ready for the duel. He dropped the sandal on the floor and asked me "Where's the other one?". I am smart aint' I!! :) I said, "No that's is alright, it doesn't need any work to be done". The cobbler said, "Just give me, I will not charge you anything for just checking it". I felt something fishy about that but still wanted to see what he would do. I took out the other one from the bag and handed it to him. Like with the earlier sandal he pulled all the joints and was checking. One point seemed a little loose and he opened the sole a little bit, applied the glue and pasted it well. Now checked both the sandals and was quite contended with the work he has done and handed over them to me.

Oh yeah, I was fully ready now. As I was fiddling with my pocket to take the changes out and was waiting for the cobbler to speak to me. Yeah he did.. "You guys spend on so much other things, but to give 2 rupees extra you fuss a lot". That's all he said. He didn't ask for more. What!? In those minutes I re-run in my mind the way he had approached his job, the care, the concentration and his determination that whatever he is paid he would go ahead doing it in the best way. It taught me a lesson I would remember for the rest of my life..

At last when I had taken out the change, I gave him 10 rupees as I was overwhelmed by what I learned in those few minutes. The cobbler was rightly surprised, I said that he deserves for the work he has done.
I would not have had this lesson in any other better way.

While I was a trainer during the start of my career, I had to handle fresh college graduates. It takes a while to bring them to the ground and help them understand what it would take for them to understand the seriousness of starting a career. As I was handling trainees who would eventually become Quality Controllers, it is really a difficult job to orient a young mind on the difficult aspects of QC procedures. I narrated this experience of mine to all the batches I took and challenged them in a way on their approach to Quality. Few became emotional, few just appreciated and a very few gave a serious thought on what I was trying to convey. Those few who gave some thought on the message did really grew in their career and I saw them growing. I am satisfied and happy for those few minds who took this message and imbibed in their work.

If you have come across this blog post by any means, don't think I am trying to preach how to approach your job. All I am trying to tell you is that "BE ALERT". Life's lessons may come from any corner of the world. The vigilant reaps many. Have a wonderful time ahead.

4 comments:

  1. Good one. I also had the opportunity to have that class when you gave the induction to me on quality. Hope I am one of those 'very few' who gave a serious thought to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a pleasure and matter of pride to me.. :)

    ReplyDelete